Monday, March 2, 2009

Raising a coyote pup




Last spring I bottle fed a group of what I thought might be puppies that Animal control picked up from an old woman who said her grandchildren had found them outside in a stump.




Never in my life had I seen "puppies" that looked like they did. They were reddish brown and had very long necks for dogs. They were less than four days old...their umbilical cords were barely dry. I had my doubts about what they were, but I set about warming them, getting them to eat and helping them to eliminate. Puppy formula (esbilac) didn't work. I ended up raising them on Goat's Milk and despite my efforts, four died and only one little girl survived.


I quickly fell in love with her being the only survivor. Should I keep her? That is a question I ask myself (and everyone else) each and every time I bring a foster pet into my home. If I kept all of them, I'd end up on the news as one of those crazy cat ladies with just as many dogs.


When she was big enough, I decided that she was probably a coyote and wouldn't it be fun to pair her up with a cute little kitten. You've seen the videos and pictures of all kinds of animals with a kitten curled up on their side. That wasn't to be the case with this little beauty. She quickly established that kittens were best for dinner.


What was I going to do with her then? Now was she imprinted on humans and would never survive in the wild? I had a problem. Luckily, our Director at the shelter had a friend in northern Iowa that had raised many coyote pups and she agreed to take her. I sent her off to live her life and have worried about her every day since. I hate to be one of those pesky people that calls a hundred times to see how things are going. Thankfully, the lady sent an update when Zuba (the name she gave to the pup) was about four months old. She had been released and was doing quite well.
I hadn't heard anything since until late last week I received the picuture of her all grown up. It caught my breath to see such a beautiful creature! I am amazed that she survived and looks so good.


2 comments:

  1. Hey! Look who's blogging now!! What an awesome story about the coyote pup. She is beautiful now - what a great gift - to receive a picture of her as an adult. That's amazing. But please don't tell her where my chickens live!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need help! We have recently rescued and taken in a pup, maybe 7 weeks old. His leg was broke so we took him in and got it splinted and some drops for fleas and ticks. Wildlife rescue says he would have to be put down due to the human contact it will take to heal the leg and can’t be released back into the wild, IM NOT OK WITH THAT! I have looked but can’t find any help about raising this baby…so I’m reaching out to you for advice. ANYTHING would be of help. He is a sweetie, but gets a bit food aggressive…he wants to be held the WHOLE time he is inside but when let out to play doesn’t like being picked up and taken back in. I have raised many an odd animal but this is my first coyote or the like. Email me here or even call me at 479-249-4000. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete